- Table of contents
- I can't see emoji/some symbols
- How do I auth/identify before I join
- Why doesn't Ctrl-C work
- TLS isn't working on a server!
- How do I change my version reply
- How do I disable the popups/notifications
- How do I disable highlight sounds
- How do I use CERTFP, PEM files, etc with AdiIRC.
- I want to use the beta!
- How do I add toolbar items aligned to the right
- My BNC/ZNC starts up so slow on AdiIRC!
- How do I make it so /server connects with ...
- Why is 'connecting' slow on some networks
- How do I move the monitors to their own window
- How do I autojoin several channels
- Does AdiIRC have a systray icon
- Can I use AdiIRC without .NET
- Does AdiIRC support DCC
- There is so many other IRC clients, why wasting time writing another
- I found a bug, what do I do
- I got this great idea, can you implement it
- What does "Adi" stands for
- Is AdiIRC open source or can I get the source
- Can I use AdiIRC on macOs/Linux
- Will you port AdiIRC to my mobile OS
- How do I change message fonts
- Why does task manager show high memory usage for AdiIRC
- Does AdiIRC support OTR
- Why are some windows/channels shown on the desktop
- How to upgrade/downgrade AdiIRC
- How to backup the config folder
- Antivirus flags AdiIRC as having a virus or trojan
- Log folder using a lot of space
- How can I temporary disable auto connect when AdiIRC starts
- Missing Nicklist on Twitch
- How to ignore a message containing specific word(s)
- Can I distribute custom AdiIRC installers/portable versions to my users?
- How do I sort/re-order windows in the Treebar/Switchbar?
- Can I drag items in the Treebar/Switchbar?
- How to add new autojoin channels?
- Can i change the MDI Window Titlebar colors or hide them?
- Can I make a Donation?
- How do I hide channel join/part and other events?
- When is the next beta or stable build released?
(Frequently Said Statements)¶
I can't see emoji/some symbols¶
How do I auth/identify before I join¶
/msg nickserv identify <password> /sleep 3 /join #channel1,#channel2
/sleep 3, means wait 3 seconds before running the following command.
Why doesn't Ctrl-C work¶
When you select text from the message buffer, AdiIRC will automatically copy the text to the clipboard when you release the left mouse button.
TLS isn't working on a server!¶
If you experience problems connecting to a TLS only server, you can try the .NET 4.5 version which has support for TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2.
How do I change my version reply¶
You can disable or change the CTCP VERSION reply using the CTCP event in a small script.
This can be used for any CTCP request.
; Disable CTCP version reply. CTCP *:VERSION:*:halt ; Reply with a custom version. CTCP *:VERSION:*:ctcpreply $nick IRC Version 42 | halt
How do I disable the popups/notifications¶
Tips for various events can be disabled in Options -> Tips, to disable highlight tips, go to Options -> Highlights, in the listbox area select "$me", then click the "Edit" button, uncheck "Tip message" and click "Save".
How do I disable highlight sounds¶
How do I use CERTFP, PEM files, etc with AdiIRC.¶
openssl pkcs12 -export -out mynick.pfx -in mynick.pem
For creating a new certificate, have a look here
I want to use the beta!¶
To update to a beta release, just type /betaup.
How do I add toolbar items aligned to the right¶
There is a tiny "|" separator to the right, if you right click the Toolbar and choose "Customize", you are able to drag the item to the right of that border.
My BNC/ZNC starts up so slow on AdiIRC!¶
Should be much faster in AdiIRC 3.1.
Things you can try:
First try adjust /fupdate, if still not fast enough you can try some of the things below.
- Use the ZNC playback script to only load messages since last time.
- Make sure you are using latest beta.
- Reduce Options -> Messages -> Max buffer.
- Disable Options -> Monitor Panels -> Monitor Channels/Servers.
- Type "/setoption Links CaptureLinks False" to disable capturing links.
- Enable Options -> Windows -> Minimize server/channel windows.
- Disable/reduce channel backgrounds.
- Disable/reduce emoticons.
- Disable/reduce highlights.
- Disable/reduce nick colors.
- Disable/reduce user access levels.
- Disable/reduce on TEXT and on PARSELINE scripts.
- Disable Options -> Logging -> Log channels.
- Make sure Options -> Messages -> Use alternative text rendering is unchecked.
- Make sure channel/main window is as large as possible (or smaller font) to avoid word wrapping.
- Use fixed size message font.
- Disable/reduce Inline Images/Animated gifs.
How do I make it so /server connects with ...¶
Why is 'connecting' slow on some networks¶
Some networks tries to scan your port 113 to see if you have a Identd server running, if the port is closed or the identd server is not running, it can take a while for the scan to timeout, make sure Identd server is enabled in Options -> Server and that port 113 is open in your firewall and router. (AdiIRC does not yet support UPNP).
How do I move the monitors to their own window¶
When "Lock Bars" is disabled (right click any Menubar/Toolbar/Switchbar/Statusbar/Treebar to enable/disable) you can left-click the header of the monitor panel or a tab and move it with the mouse, if you release the mouse in the middle of the AdiIRC main window, the monitor will become a standalone window.
The window can be docked inside AdiIRC as a regular channel window by pressing CTRL + D.
See also Monitor Panels.
You can also undock the monitor panel into a window by right-clicking the header or tab and choose "Undock".
How do I autojoin several channels¶
, inbetween the channels.
Does AdiIRC have a systray icon¶
Can I use AdiIRC without .NET¶
No, I use .NET because its fast, easy and it has large libraries which enables me to code much more in less time. On a side note, from Windows Vista, .NET is included in Windows per default. -- kr0n
Does AdiIRC support DCC¶
Yes, both chat and file transfers
There is so many other IRC clients, why wasting time writing another¶
I mainly do this for fun and learning more about .NET/C# and IRC in general. -- kr0n
I found a bug, what do I do¶
Check https://dev.adiirc.com/projects/adiirc/issues and see if its been reported. If not, report it!
I got this great idea, can you implement it¶
Check https://dev.adiirc.com/projects/adiirc/issues and see if someone suggested it. If not, suggest it!
What does "Adi" stands for¶
Nothing really. It's an old prefix used for some other projects many years ago, and the prefix just carried over to this irc client. Original it was derived from the song A.D.I.D.A.S by the band KoRn. According to some it could stand for All Day I IRC :P -- kr0n
Is AdiIRC open source or can I get the source¶
AdiIRC is freeware, but not open source.
There is a system in place in case of bus factor.
Can I use AdiIRC on macOs/Linux¶
AdiIRC is a Windows application using Windows APIs/features/user interface controls/.NET framework, as such it cannot run on Linux/macOS or through Mono.
It does run very well using Wine, check this guide https://dev.adiirc.com/projects/adiirc/wiki/Wine.
There are no plans to rewrite AdiIRC for other platforms.
Will you port AdiIRC to my mobile OS¶
AdiIRC is a desktop IRC client, as such it cannot be ported, a new client would have to be made from scratch and there are already good mobile IRC clients, also I have no interest in mobile IRC. --kr0n
How do I change message fonts¶
Why does task manager show high memory usage for AdiIRC¶
The task manager numbers are not the actual memory usage, the .NET framework which runs AdiIRC is like a little OS inside Windows, it allocates memory as needed and free it as needed, just like windows does, there are no such thing as a memory leak in .NET applications, except in very specific cases.
Why are some windows/channels shown on the desktop¶
Pressing CTRL + D toggles "Show on desktop".
"Shown on desktop" status is also saved across sessions.
How to upgrade/downgrade AdiIRC¶
- Download the (portable) version you want from https://www.adiirc.com/download.php.
- Type /paths -r to open the AdiIRC folder where AdiIRC.exe is.
- Close AdiIRC.
- Copy the downloaded file into the AdiIRC folder and replace the old AdiIRC.exe with the new one.
This can be done to go from stable to beta, or from 32 bit to 64 and visa versa, no other steps needed.
How to backup the config folder¶
Antivirus flags AdiIRC as having a virus or trojan¶
AdiIRC seems to generate a lot of false positives in some antivirus programs, if possible, please submit the file to your antivirus vendor for false positive analyzes and/or white-list AdiIRC.exe.
If you are unsure, the false positives seems to be resolved after a few weeks, you can try update again then.
Log folder using a lot of space¶
If your log folder is using a lot of space and you don't want to delete any logs, you can compress it by right-clicking the log folder, click "Properties", click "Advanced", check "compress contents to save disk space" and press OK.
How can I temporary disable auto connect when AdiIRC starts¶
Press the SHIFT key while clicking the AdiIRC icon/shortcut.
Missing Nicklist on Twitch¶
CAP REQ :twitch.tv/membership
How to ignore a message containing specific word(s)¶
The on TEXT event can be used to listen for specific messages on specific/all channels:
; Ignore all messages containing badword on all channels. on ^*:TEXT:*badword*:*:halt ; Ignore all messages starting with !badword on a specific channel. on ^*:TEXT:!badword*:#channel:halt
You can add as many as you want.
Can I distribute custom AdiIRC installers/portable versions to my users?¶
Absolutely. You can also distribute a custom config.ini file which uses your own hostname/#channel as the default.
You can also bundle scripts/plugins/translations etc.
[QuickConnect] Autojoin=#channel Serverhost=irc.hostname.com Serverport=6667
If you have any questions contact us.
How do I sort/re-order windows in the Treebar/Switchbar?¶
There is a window priority system in Options -> Windows - Window Order, simply add the name of the channel or the network name you want to have a higher priority, higher up items have higher priority.
Can I drag items in the Treebar/Switchbar?¶
No, use Window Order.
How to add new autojoin channels?¶
See Autojoin channels.
Can i change the MDI Window Titlebar colors or hide them?¶
The MDI Window Titlebars are drawn by Windows and are stuck with the Windows 7 theme, microsoft refuses to update them.
Can I make a Donation?¶
Please donate to your favorite local charity instead, it's much appreciated, thanks.
How do I hide channel join/part and other events?¶
When is the next beta or stable build released?¶
When it's ready.